Hibiscus Meringue With Mango Cream
This dessert bowl makes a wonderfully creamy and fruity sweet treat.
Ingredients for the meringue
- 115g icing sugar
- 115g caster sugar
- 160g Two Chicks egg whites
- 4 tbsp ground hibiscus flowers (or hibiscus tea bags)
Ingredients for the mango cream
- 300g mango
- 240g whipping cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh lemon basil or mint
- Ground hibiscus flowers
- Preheat the oven to 130°C, 250°F, Gas ½ and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a processor, blend the mango and lime juice until smooth then set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl beat the egg whites to stiff peak stage using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Add the caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, leaving a few seconds between each spoonful so it’s fully combined and doesn't separate later. Once the mixture is thick and glossy, sift in a third of the icing sugar with the 2 tbsp of hibiscus flowers. Fold in so that the mixture looks smooth.
- Use a spoon to dollop the meringue onto the baking paper or alternatively, place it into a piping bag and pipe 4 equal portions onto the baking tray. Sprinkle the top of the meringues with the remaining hibiscus flowers, sieved through a strainer.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 1 hour and then lower the temperature to the lowest setting, leaving the door open for a few minutes. Cook the meringue for a further 1 1/2 hours and then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- To make the mango cream, in a mixing bowl whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the mango and swirl through the cream using a metal spoon. Sieve some more ground hibiscus over the cream and wait for a few minutes for the colour to ‘bleed’ into the cream.
- Serve in bowls topped with a sprig of lemon basil.